By Jonathan Rieder
“Since 1960 the Jews and Italians of Canarsie have embellished and modified the meaning of liberalism, associating it with profligacy, spinelessness, malevolence, masochism, elitism, fantasy, anarchy, idealism, softness, irresponsibility and sanctimoniousness.
The term ‘conservative’ acquired connotations of pragmatism, character, reciprocity, truthfulness, stoicism, manliness, realism, hardness, vengeance, strictness, and responsibility.”
Of course it all came undone after 2000. But that’s another story, for another book.
Thanks: Five Best Books – WSJ.com: “Great political upheavals are memorably recorded in these works, says David Frum”
Posted in Books, USA
Tagged Lists, Quotes, Best, Books, America, USA, Reviews, US, WSJ, GWB, Bush, NYC, Mob, Brooklyn, Queens, Sopranos, GOP, Dems, Democrats, Republicans, Conservatives, Liberals, 5, Five, Jews, Italians, Italy
Online Guides & Outlets
- ShopItToMe.com – Emails you about sales involving favorite brands or stores
- 6PM.com – Offers shoes, apparel & accessories at deep discounts, but not always luxury
- DealDivine.com – Compiles coupons, sales & other deals
- TopButton.com – Offers a cornucopia of online sample sales
- RueLaLa.com – These members-only sites hold limited-time-only sales of luxury brands
Posted in Web
Tagged Alerts, Brands, Design, Fashion, Lists, sales, She, Shopping, Sites, Style, Women, WSJ
Circulating in Asia, a view of how the Chinese stimulus package fits in history:
- 1949 (Chinese Revolution): Only socialism can save China.
- 1979 (Deng Xiaoping reforms): Only capitalism can save China.
- 1989 (fall of Berlin Wall): Only China can save Socialism.
- 2008 (Global Financial Crisis): Only China can save Capitalism.
Isn’t it sexist to run this report? Why aren’t you writing about Men to Watch?
As I noted last year, the short answer is that we do — every day. It’s still rare to have a woman in the high-profile top seat. That leaves a lot of women who are having a marked influence — but who operate below the radar. One indication: We received more than 500 nominations this year, from people both inside and outside the Journal.
நன்றி: Journal Women – WSJ.com
2. Indra Nooyi
Chairman and Chief Executive
16. Ursula M. Burns
30. Melinda Gates
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
31. Padmasree Warrior
Chief Technology Officer
Cisco Systems Inc.
38. Mellody Hobson
41. Indrani Mukerjea
43. Maha Al Ghunaim
Global Investment House
45. Saideh Ghods
47. Phuti Malabie
முழுப் பட்டியல்: The 50 Women to Watch 2008 – WSJ.com