1. Know where people look
Review at least the first three to five pages of results.
2. Start a blog
If you’re not yet ready to start your own blog, you can simply begin posting to a technology-oriented blog such as Slashdot.com or Thescripts.com.
3. Join the open-source code community
4. Build a Web page
5. Create a Web profile
Naymz, Ziggs, FindMeOn.com and ClaimID.-com, allow you to create an online identity or, if you already have several, manage them all in one place.
Be careful out there!
Here are some of the reasons candidates didn’t make the cut:
- 31 percent lied about qualifications.
- 25 percent had poor communication skills.
- 24 percent were linked to criminal behaviour.
- 19 percent bad-mouthed a previous employer or co-worker.
- 19 percent posted information about drinking or using drugs.
- 15 percent shared confidential information from previous employers.
- 12 percent lied about an absence from work.
- 11 percent posted provocative or inappropriate photographs.
- 8 percent used unprofessional screen names.