Before you make any questionable comment to someone, you should always ask yourself three questions:
- Is the comment sexually explicit or derogatory of a protected characteristic?
- How well do I know the person and what he or she finds offensive?
- Is it possible that someone might overhear me?
If you have asked yourself the three questions and are still unsure whether a comment is appropriate or not, think about how you would answer these questions:
- Would I want this comment made to my spouse, significant other, or child?
- Would I say this if my supervisor, spouse, significant other, or child could hear me?
- Would I feel comfortable if my comment were replayed on the 11 o’clock news?
- Would I feel comfortable repeating my comment in court?